It's Finally Friday

Today is finally Friday and marks 1 week since we learned of our journey ahead.  Initially I thought this was my last day of tests; however, one more test has been added next Tuesday (although the newly scheduled MRI does not have any weight on the treatment plan, rather it is for a baseline measure).

Thursday was a filled with a genetic counseling appointment and meeting with the surgeon.  The genetic counseling appointment was fascinating in the sense that I am able to complete tests now to determine whether the genes associated with my cancer are hereditary.  As the oldest of 3 girls and having a daughter myself, I will do everything in my power to ensure that those who I love most are protected and have the latest and greatest information for their healthcare decisions.  Unfortunately; however, the test results are not available until 3-4 weeks.  So the wait for that begins.....

The surgeon appointment was AMAZING!  In terms of my physiological state, I needed to have met him a week ago!  Dr. Reid spoke to me as if I was his only patient and customized a plan that was best for my situation; although it varies from that of most who have breast cancer.  He gave me the encouragement I needed and helped me work through my journey and what surgery will be like.  Eric and I walked out of this appointment with a calm that we have not had in the last month!

Today was my PET scan and boy did I not realize the length of this test.  However, I am very thankful for the Mercy wifi and the ability to work while I waited the 90 minutes for the radioactive material to circulate my system.  Then came the tube and all I could think of was.....I am glad this was me and not my mom, who is claustrophobic!  After 2 hours and 15 minutes, Terri (thanks for accompanying me) and I departed Mercy Hospital and immediately headed to one of my favorite sub places, Sub City, to treat myself after a strict 24 hour diet.  Needless to say, I would not be good on a meat, sliced cheese, and egg diet....give me some carbs!  

I wanted to take this opportunity to say THANKS!  I am completely overwhelmed and humbled by the outpouring of support, love, prayers, words of encouragement, and positive notes provided by you all.  As much as I have had moments of being alone on this journey, you all proved me wrong....I am on this journey with all of you, where ever you may be, and for that I couldn't be more grateful!  

Today I want to thank 3 amazing students who dropped this care package off while I was in my house - I have yet to figure out how you managed to do this with me home!  Ella, Rilee, and Sophie, it is YOU 3 who have always inspired me and continued to do so!  Thanks for thinking of me!  In case you wondered, they put together all of my favorites and they had them ALL....even some slippers to keep my feet warm (they too know that I am always cold)!  Thanks again and next time, make sure to stop in so I can see you!

In case I needed a little motivation, this guy helped the cause today supporting all of his Xavier gear!
Until next week when results are in and we can truly begin this journey forward, have a great weekend!

Love,
Amy

Comments

Popular Posts