Full of Gratitude

Good Morning,

I hope this post finds you all doing well and enjoying the season.  Temperatures have certainly helped it feel a bit more like Christmas around here, but I could use a little snow and I will be ready for the holidays.  Thankfully for our visit to Mayo last week, we had outstanding weather; 50 degree temperatures and no winter weather to deal with on our trek north.

Cutting down the Christmas tree!
This appointment is my off cycle 3-month check that also included my bone hardener.  On these appointments I meet with the PA, DeAnn Smith; I love these visits as it is yet another perspective and so great catching up with her.  In case you have missed an earlier post, DeAnn and Dr. Goetz are on the same team and work together through my treatment.  Blood work is all on track, the doctor's visit showed no physical signs of cancer and the bone hardener went great with no side affects.  So, needless to say, this was a very quick, but productive and reassuring trip to Rochester.  I have to admit though, I am needing a little bit longer stay one of these times so I can head back to my favorite restaurant with the most amazing lobster mac'n'cheese!

Next trip is on Monday, February 26th; this visit will include the PET scan.  A few prayers would be welcomed for this one!!

I know most of you read this post to see how things are going but I feel compelled to share this with you.  As I type this, I just heard about the latest study in breast cancer research that reports a link between the birth control pill and breast cancer, additionally, they went on to say, breast cancer is uncommon in women under the age of 35.  I am puzzled to hear the word "uncommon." Since I have been a part of the Mayo article on my prognosis and treatment, I have had numerous women reach out to me to share their story......and the interesting thing to note, all are in their 30's, many under 35.  I am not sure I have formulated a complete thought about being in a category with the odds stacked against me, but I will tell you this doesn't stop me.

This time of year has certainly forced me to stop, pause and reflect, and in doing so, I am often reminded of the blessings in my life, (hence, my Christmas card) but I also continue to search for ways in which I can make a difference, small or large.  How can I use the lessons that have been given to me through this diagnosis to help others???  Some of you may say that I have changed and yes, there are certainly those things in my life that are different, but I like to think of it as a new and refined appreciation for the life around me.

While I have many thoughts running through my mind, I am hopeful that I can find a way to share these with those of you battling an illness, disease or even just to provide a ray of sunshine!  I would certainly love any suggestions and look forward to continued conversations and being able to support all of you on your own journey.

As an avid sports fan, this speech came across the TV during a basketball halftime that I was watching the other night and my immediate thought, I had to share with you.  I know many of you have probably already seen it, but seeing this man's journey through cancer inspires me to continue the hard fight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuoVM9nm42E&pbjreload=10

Enjoy, God Bless and have a very Merry Christmas!
Amy

Comments

Popular Posts