Miracles Happen

I deeply apologize for the delay in sending this post.  I know you hear it time and time again, but wow......this spring has me running in directions and places daily and every weekend!!  In addition to the "May Madness" at school, there is very little time for sleep, more or less getting this post out!

This was the information I shared on Facebook on that lovely April day when we were at Mayo for Pet Scan #2! 

Our prayers have been answered again.....a clear scan, only this time ABSOLUTELY NO CANCER detected! Dr. Goetz is amazed at the response! Interestingly enough I saw a bracelet this morning as we were shopping to waste time that said "miracles happen," they do indeed and I am living proof! Many thanks for all the prayers, I firmly believe they have made all the difference! Back in August for my 1 year check!

2 weeks later I am still not sure the reality of those words has set in.  While I will never be declared cancer free, to hear the words remission and that no cancer can be detected on my PET scan images is a dream come true.  If you would have told me 9 months ago that I would hear those words ever, I would have laughed at you, and if you told me I would hear them within the year, I probably would have even laughed harder.  Yet, here I am today, living proof in the power of prayer and a true example that miracles can happen!

What this means going forward, I will continue the regimen of meds that I take on a daily basis.  It has become part of my daily routine to pack them every morning and take them with my breakfast for when I arrive at school.   And the best part, I am really symptom free.  At the onset I had some mouth sores, but those have slowly subsided and I get them only on a rare occasion now.  

I will still get the bone hardener treatment every 3 months and this time I am going to try getting this in Cedar Rapids.  This will be scheduled in the next couple of weeks; I am praying things to as smoothly as they do at Mayo.

As for follow-up, Dr. Goetz would have normally pushed off my scan another month, but he is wanting to see me at my year anniversary so we will do another Pet Scan then, sometime in early August.  4 more months......

I can't even begin to put words to my thoughts and feelings right now.  It is beyond comprehensible and still seems like a dream come true.  Many thanks to all of you for thinking of us during the last 9 months and keeping us in your thoughts and prayers.  You are all the difference maker.  

And......given that I know what you are capable of, I am needing your help.  A former student of mine, who is now a sophomore at Xavier is needing our help.  While prayers are certainly appreciated, he is needing much more......a new kidney.  I am going to post the information below that was shared with me, in the hopes that someone out there can help.  I feel so absolutely helpless in this situation as there is nothing I would like more than to help out this amazing student and his family, but I am unable to be a donor.  Eric has already stepped up and I am hoping others will join in the cause in the hopes of finding a match for Gus.  

I'm asking for some help for our buddy Gus Fuhrman. Gus was experiencing some strange symptoms that concerned his parents. On his 16th bday, he went to an urgent care where his blood pressure was off the charts. He was transported to the U of I where his parents were informed (after several tests) that he was in complete kidney failure. He spent a month there, and is currently doing dialysis ten hours a day. Gus is a smart, sweet, talented young man that loves his friends, school and soccer. He DESPERATELY NEEDS A KIDNEY! I filled out the app on the website and it takes 15 minutes.Please consider donating for this wonderful family. http://www.mayoclinic.org/livingdonor. His date of birth is 2/27/2001. Time is of the essence. They are at Mayo today for tests and to find out how many have offered to become a possible match. Let's blow up that website with offers to donate. Please do ASAP. Thank you for considering. The Fuhrman's are truly wonderful people that are going through something no parent should have to. Thank you and keep them
In your prayers. 🙏🙏🙏 #teamgus


You are all absolutely amazing!

Comments

Popular Posts